Tuesday 23 September 2014

The 2014 Capsule Basics




Style Theory: Everyone's wardrobe requires some useful, practical clothes for everyday life....taking the kids to school or to chill out at the weekend, I do not claim my list of capsule basics are sexy but I can promise they are comfortable....

My Schoolrun Look:

Top: Petit Bateau
Jacket: Zara
Jeans: Topshop Baxter
Trainers: Adidas Stan Smith
Bag: TK Maxx

Here are a few basics for your wardrobe available on the highstreet now..

The Mighty Breton
Last year I bought a Petit Bateau breton, previously I had always bought cheaper ones but they did not wash well and the colours ended up running. I wanted one that was fairly thick and would not cling to my tummy, the Petit Bateau breton has come up trumps. It is pricey but has washed beautifully and looks just as good dressed up with trousers and heels as it does with my skinny jeans and trainers. Definitely worth it...
Petit Bateau £58
I really like the navy colourway, especially for the autumn, looks great with a navy blazer, boyfriend jeans and clashing patterned heels.

The Jumper
A jumper with some lovely details is always a good addition to your wardrobe, these Cos jumpers are a flattering fit with the slight puff shoulders, I have worn mine to death, both as a casual outfit with my baggy jeans and trainers and with my black skinny jeans and leopard print heels for a night out. I really like this navy one, it will be so useful to wear with blue skinny jeans and a pair of beautiful heels..
Cos Raised-Knit Jumper £49
The Jeans
Next on the list is a good pair of skinny jeans. To be honest I still do not think I have found my dream jeans that tick all the boxes required for a perfect fit, wash and details. The ones I always go back to are Topshop Baxter jeans, the wash is flattering, the fit is good and the price..pretty reasonable..
Topshop Baxter Jeans £42
These are a great colour and I am a big fan of a touch of distressing on jeans. These will look fab with a blouse (love this Warehouse one) and a pair of heels on a night out.

The Trainers
Every girl needs a good pair of trainers and I honestly love my Stan Smith trainers, they look just as cool with a dress or culottes as they are dashing up to school on the schoolrun..
Adidas Stan Smith Trainers £67 (neo white)
It is best to get the neo white trainers as they are slightly more worn looking and just look a bit cooler than the bright white Stan Smiths.
Or Zara has some fab white trainers..
Zara Perforated Leather Sneakers £39.99
The Jacket
A warm jacket is a must a weather turns colder, if you fancy a puffa style jacket (very on trend this winter) I tried this one on in Zara and just loved it on, it comes in khaki and black also but I love this yellow colour and even with my pale colouring I could just about get away with it..
Zara Short Anorak with Fur Collar £79.99
For a more classic but also really reasonable coat, you cannot go wrong with a camel coat and this one from Miss Selfridges looks really cute on and will go with everything..
Miss Selfridge Double Breasted Coat £59
A very neat looking coat, it comes up a little small so you may have to size up.

The Bag
For a chic bag that you can sling across you to leave your hands available for carrying school bags or shopping or if you are me normally both. This M&S one is very similar to the Mulberry Tessie Satchel but far less expensive..

M&S Leather Saddle Bag £59
This is a far better colour in real life, it is a deep wine colour and would look just as lovely with the yellow jacket as with the camel coat or a navy wool coat.

That is my round up of my most useful pieces in my 'Mum' wardrobe, what is your favourite run around outfit? What do you wear at the weekend, is a breton and jeans major building blocks in your wardrobe?
As always I would love to hear your thoughts and comments, until next time Frances xxx

9 comments:

  1. I love everything about Topshop and yes, they are great for jeans
    I really like that coat from miss Selfridges
    you should also check out this sneakers i bought from zara, very comfortable and at a great price http://www.zara.com/uk/en/shoes---bags/woman/shoes/perforated-leather-sneakers-c665017p2182536.html
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all. I'm definitely a blazer and jeans kinda girl. Looking great Frances x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you about the Baxter jeans look good and great value. Love the M&S bag too, great post as always.
    Sue
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm glad I'm able to tick a few of those items off on my list as I already have some version of them. And I agree about the COS jumpers, I have the black one which you have which I picked up in the sale this summer. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the berry coloured one from last winter though - they are good little jumpers. They are plain but not too plain.

    And honestly Frances - you must be the most stylish mum in your playground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Bretons on everyone else but they are just not me so I always make sure I have a great loose fitting grey marl t-shirt - I love grey! I also love a great hat - baseball or fedora - it can change a whole outfit. For me ankle boots only slightly win over sneakers and as of now it has to be boyfriend jeans over skinnies. I love a good chunky sweater or cashmere sweater too for the winter - and I'm good to go!...but as you know there ain't anything capsule about my closet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great essentials and fab little M&S bag perfect for school run mummies! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great basics, Frances. You always look fab, even dressed down and casual. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post Frances! I've got a PB breton also and can totally vouch for them too tho I wish I'd sized up a bit with mine as it's a wee bit short on me. And I must try the Baxters next time I'm in - love the colour x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these ideas - I have been umming and ahhing about getting some Stan Smiths and this has made me want to try them again!
    A x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love hearing from you or contact me on Schoolrunstyle@outlook.com