Thursday 8 October 2015

AW15 Coat Edit

Style Theory: One of the most important purchases of the season..the smart winter coat. It can instantly turn a casual outfit into a sophisticated look, get the colour, the fabric and the fit right and the winter coat will your wardrobe saviour.


In this blog post I will be talking about the 'smart' winter coat, I will look at Parkas, Puffers etc in a separate post. I am a huge fan of a dressy coat, for the last five years I have bought a bright coloured coat and I have worn them non-stop. They give me a signature look each season and it is amazing how good clashing colours look with them. This year I am on the hunt for a classic camel coat but throughout my search I have found lots of stunning coats on the high street..

The Red Coat

Jaeger 3 Button Coat £350
A little expensive but this coat looks amazing on, the collar looks great turned up and the colour is the perfect shade of a true red. This would look stunning clashed with a pink sweater and black skinny jeans and knee high black boots. Or wear over an all black outfit for a chic look. I also love a red coat with pale distressed blue jeans, a chunky black poloneck and trainers. This one is great for smaller ladies (like me) and is definitely on my list, in Elys in Wimbledon they were running a promotion with £100 off all Jaegar coats, not too sure if this is still going but well worth looking out for these promotions, it makes the price more palatable! 

The Forest Green Coat

&Other Stories £165
A beautiful fuzzy wool mix coat with gradient dye. This coat is a generous fit, wear with navys, pale denim blues, pale pinks, burgundys and add a red or orange bag for a striking pop of colour.

The Burgundy Coat 

H&M Studio Coat £139.99
A wool mix coat with gorgeous quilted detail. This is a modern take on a classic shape and will look stunning with camels, pinks greys, black and navy.
M&S Wool Blend Coat £139
This coat is such a beautiful, rich colour, one to try on as M&S coats normally come up a little big. I love the length and the collar, chic and sophisticated in this season's key colour.

The Grey Coat

The more I have researched this blog post the more I am loving the grey maxi coat,  I have tried lots of these but due to the fact I am 5ft 3 these are not an easy style for me to wear, for the taller ladies however this is THE coat to buy. It looks cool, nonchalant and so stylish.
Zara Handmade Coat £129
This may not be the warmest coat buy I always wear a uniqlo thin body warmer underneath mine and add an oversize pale grey scarf for a beautiful, tonal look.

Topshop Longline Slouchy Coat £89
This coat looks less 'dressing gown-y' in the flesh. It is this season's maxi length and would look perfect dressed down with skinny ankle length jeans and trainers. Add an oversized mustard scarf and you will look super chic.
Zara Coat £59.99
This coat is better if you are small, the perfect length, not too boxy and such a good price for a wool mix.  Again I would add a pale mustard oversize scarf to add a  touch of colour.

The Camel Coat

Lauren Ralph Lauren @ HoF £245
This is from a previous blog post but I really like this classic shape. This coat is 60% wool and is beautifully tailored.
Cos Rib Neck Wool Coat £175
This is the coat I think I am going to buy for this winter, it actually looks great on, it hangs beautifully in a swing shape and is flattering with a split at the back. It does not have a collar but will look fabulous with so many different colours of oversized scarves, deep reds, pink, navy, grey and black. This will look as good with my stan smith trainers as with a dress and heels.

I tried it on in Cos..not great photos but I do really like the coat.


I sized down on this coat, this is a size 8. The wool is quite flat/ felt -like which I wasn't sure of at first but actually I think it looks lovely, quite expensive.

Have you invested in your winter smart coat, what colour do you fancy this year? Or have you got a coat you use every year that is a classic and looks great year after year?

As always I would love to hear your thoughts and comments, until next time, Frances xxx

10 comments:

  1. Stop this!! I already have one in an assortment of colours but seeing this just makes me drool for more!!! I just love camel and grey. The camel one you have on here looks like it has a lot of material going on but the quality looks lush. H xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went for the Boden Sienna coat in the camel shade. Have ordered an oversize teal scarf from H&M to go with it if it ever turns up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At 5 foot 3 I find winter coats can swamp me, or way too long in the arms! BUT I will be off to Zara next week to check out the grey one! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love coats and my wardrobe is groaning at the seams with them. I have a coat wardrobe which is two thirds mine and a third the Grumps. I could do with kicking his stuff out really but that might be a bit cheeky.

    And camel coats - they are so tricky. The one I got recently went to a friend who wanted it after I declared it the wrong size for me - I needed to downsize but there are none around in a size 8 so I'm back on the camel coat search too. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far this season I have resisted the temptation to go overboard on the coat purchases (they are normally my achilles heel in A/W!) but now I've seen your inspiration I think I have a berry coat shaped hole that needs filling! You look fab in the Cos coat Frances.....I hope you have snapped it up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bright winter coats but at the moment, I can't bear wearing them as I just get too hot (once again, thanks early menopause!) So I tend to stick with thicker coatigans instead x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of lovely coats and ways to style them. I do have quite a number of coats, but in winter you do end up in them all the time. I have a lovely red Hobbs number from a few years ago, which I probably don't wear enough. Some good ideas of how to dress it down here. I already have a green, wool jacket, so I probably won't indulge in a full length coat... but the burgundy with the furry collar (is it too close to red?) and the grey, so versatile and so lovely!

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought a red coat from our Joanna on the preloved page! Because I really needed a new coat!! Glad I'm fully on trend with that purchase :) great pics Frances...enjoyed this post a lot xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can never get away from camel coats, such a classic. Love the Ralph Lauren one. Having said that, I've gone for a cape this winter. Bet I end up with a camel coat though! x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love hearing from you or contact me on Schoolrunstyle@outlook.com