Wednesday 1 October 2014

Check Mate

Style Theory: This Autumn/Winter checks are still going strong on the High Street, though now there is less tartan more grid-like checks. They are bold and can work both within your casual and smart wardrobe..mix them up with tailoring or jeans, both look sharp and chic.

Here are a few styling ideas:
Checks and Tassels..Shirt Dress Perfection
Bold checks look great worn together  (as last year)
Very little can beat a check shirt and skinny distressed jeans for a laidback, cool look.
I am a huge fan of oversized, trapese dresses and love them with trainers especially Stan Smiths

Mix up your checks with spots.
Swap your skinnies for the kick flare for a more flattering check trouser look
All images above via Pinterest
Now for the best on the High Street..
Warehouse are taking the lead on the high street when it comes to bold checks, this is my favourite top and on my shopping list!

Warehouse Grey Check Jumper £42
This 60s shape would look fab with black culottes and heels, or pair with black skinnies and flat, leopard print pointed shoes for a cool look.
Grey Check Dress £48
Wear now with bare legs and white trainers (see Zara leather white trainers) Wear in the winter with black opaque tights and pointed ankle boots, throw an oversize cardigan over the top for a cool, grungy look.
Window Pane Blouse £42
Keep things simple by wearing this chic blouse with a pair of black skinny jeans and pointed black court shoes, add a splash of colour and texture with a wine coloured fur clutch bag.
Culottes £42
Ignore the styling in this photo, it is not flattering. I would pair with a tailored, fitted black or white shirt, or a grey poloneck and high leopard print heels.
Pink Check Coat £95
Just adore this coat, it will look gorgeous with a grey marl T-shirt and pale blue skinny jeans and white trainers. Or clash up with a turquoise jumper to really bring out the pink.

Now onto other High Street shops..
Zara Checked Shirt Dress £35.99
An easy to wear, wool check shirt dress. Perfect for the weekends.
Zara Printed Leggings £35.99
Wear with a long tunic as styled above, a cool alternative to black skinny trousers.
Zara Black Checked Jumpsuit £59.99
This just looks fab with chunky brogues and a black coat, add a bright coat for a splash of colour.

&Other Stories Blouse £65
I always find collars like this really flattering, this blouse is super stylish, would look great tucked in boyfriend jeans with a wine coloured pair of chunky heels.

Mango Check Wool Blend Sweater £19.99
A useful layering winter item, layer over a fine grey poloneck and wear with a grey wool a-line skirt and trainers for an on trend Autumn look.
Mango Check Boxy Blouse £29.99
A great basic for your wardrobe, this blouse will look fab with jeans, love the shorts with opaque tights but at nearly 40 I think I may be pushing it!

I am most definitely buying into this trend this Autumn, it is such an easy one to wear, it makes a statement without being too loud.

Have you bought into the check trend, it is something you fancy adding to your wardrobe this year or were you fully immersed in the trend last winter?

As always I would love to hear your thoughts and comments, until next time Frances x

Follow me on Instagram @Schoolrunmum for daily outfit posts and photos of my weekend (this weekend) away in glorious Barcelona!

7 comments:

  1. Great round up - loving all the big check around and have my Topshop navy check duster coat which I've hardly worn because of the weather, but can't wait to wear when it all changes! Really like the a Warehouse top too! Have a fab weekend in Barcelona - I am going next month and can't wait!
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving those leggings with the tunic top, I think I could get away with that look quite easily! Definitely want a check shirt this season. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just received the checked Mango trousers - black on white - they are gorgeous - I need to get them turned up though to wear with flats. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Soft colour palette I have to be careful that checks don't overwhelm me but the soft pink patterned coat is perfect. I am drawn to the stronger checks though x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mango boxy blouse and matching shorts. ill be venturing in there sooner rather then later.
    Great finds, Thanks for the tip.
    X A

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really loving all the check things that are in

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love hearing from you or contact me on Schoolrunstyle@outlook.com