Monday 21 October 2013

A Touch Of Tartan


Style Theory: Flash trends = a trend that lasts only ONE season you can 'dip' into to create maximum fashion impact with minimum damage to your bank account.

I give you the 'Flash Trend' of the week..Tartan/Plaid




Tartan hit the runway again AW13, it looks fab head to toe on Fashionistas, but for me, more is less with tartan on the school run! However, there are plenty of reasonable tops, skirts and accessories that enable you to create the illusion of being 'on trend' without spending insane amounts of money on items that you then have to squirrel away until they become 'on trend' again..(normally a cycle of 10-15 years, and normally a different cut or colourway)

Here are a few street style looks that are easy to replicate:

Love the chunky cream knit and scarf
Fabulously gorgeous clutch and jumper
Style your kilt with khaki parka
Work a tartan scarf in with leopard print accessories



So there you have a few styling ideas and now for a few ideas of where to get these little fashion gems!

Skirts: This skirt from Zara is gorgeous, a fab midi pencil shape with great stretch, reasonable at £35.99, I would style a tartan skirt or kilt with knee high black boots (or ankle boots if you have the calves!), black opaques and black/ cream fisherman jumper, then throw on a biker jacket!


Zara plaid pencil skirt

Or try these ones:

Next tartan skirt
Beautiful Boden Kilt

Scarves cover the tartan trend completely and here are a few of the best I have seen whilst out and about.
Accessorize Scarf - rich tones
Accessorize lighterweight scarf

Zara tartan scarf

I bought the scarf below from Primark recently for £5, it is gorgeously soft, large enough for 'wrapping' and has beautiful accents of pink...ticking tartan and pink trend all for £5!




Tops/Sweaters: I haven't seen this Zara sweater in the flesh but love the look of it online, I will investigate/try this on this week and report back!
Zara check sweater

I have this top and think it is such a fab buy for £19.99 hangs well, washes without ironing, and looks good!
Zara check top - £19.99


Or you can sling a checked shirt round your waist (best under a short jacket) over a pair of blue or black jeans - keep top neutral......everyone has a checked shirt lurking in yours' or your husband's wardrobe! I have tried it below in my school run outfit!


A few of my tartan looks from this week:

My Primark scarf 
Working the shirt round waist look- great for hiding thighs!

The Zara tartan top

Thanks for reading x....next time a few building blocks for your capsule wardrobe...







2 comments:

  1. I really like the shirt around the waist but I don't think I would get away with it. You however look damned cute in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sue, I really think you could rock the look! Btw I have purchased a cap inspired by your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love hearing from you or contact me on Schoolrunstyle@outlook.com